ACHIEVING NET ZERO
- What is net zero?
- How do you achieve it?
- What are the timeframes?
- What is the impact on our organisation?
ACHIEVING NET ZERO
In order to limit global warming to <2C, we need to become a net zero greenhouse gas emissions world by 2050, in line with the 2015 Paris Agreement on climate change.
So by 2030, we have to make big impacts in reducing our collective emissions across all parts of our world. All organisations (and individuals) will need to play their part.
Importantly, organisations can develop a roadmap to net zero and committing to reducing not only Scope 1 and 2 but also Scope 3 emissions, prioritise absolute emissions reduction, and only invest in carbon offset projects once strategies to avoid, reduce and substitute have been exhausted, using Science Based Targets.
A credible net zero commitment is anchored in a comprehensive understanding of your carbon footprint, especially your Scope 3 emissions, and should provide a baseline from which you can measure progress and follow your pathway to net zero.
Our key tips are as follows:
- Know and understand your carbon footprint. This will help identify your emissions hotspots are across your value chain, including where emissions of your suppliers or products are critical parts of your business ecosystem;
- Develop your net zero roadmap. Your decarbonisation strategy in reducing your absolute emissions should be established and communicated to all stakeholders to help keep you accountable whilst contributing to a change in industry norms;
- Take the quick wins, fast. Competitors are likely to take advantage of any cost savings associated with lower emissions systems, fleets, or facilities – so transition to these as soon as you can, especially the low hanging fruit;
- Develop a systems approach to the issue. Individual corporate action on climate change can complement systemic rethinks, working in collaboration to drive emissions reductions throughout your value chain, using science based targets;
- Update your operating model. Use this as an opportunity as well as a necessity to change your culture, incentives and management information system in updating the business model and re-aligning with your full spectrum of stakeholders and their needs.
It is no longer an option to do nothing. The time is now or it will be too late and Carbonbit will support you every step of the way as you engage in this journey to transition our economy to one that decouples carbon from growth.
Contact us to discuss your requirements and how we can help you.