The countdown to ESOS (the Energy Saving Opportunity Scheme) Phase 3 compliance has started!
With the third ESOS deadline set for 5 December 2023, it is important to establish if your organisation needs to comply and then begin the energy audits, importantly extracting the full benefit of associated savings, with energy prices as high as they are.
So, what is different about Phase 3? The main ones to consider are:
- Reduction of the ‘de minimis’ (energy that can be excluded from the audit) from 10%-5%
- Reporting on actions taken since the last ESOS report and supplyingmore detail about the next steps
- Completing the ‘standardised’ template to include summary information and outlining the route to compliance
- The addition of an overall energy intensity metric:
- kWh/m2 for buildings
- kWh/unit per unit of output
- kWh/miles for transportation
There is a compelling argument for starting your Phase 3 journey now as it is highly likely that ESOS fees will increase closer to the deadline. Additionally, with fines for non-compliance that can include an initial penalty of up to £5,000 and £500 for each working day of non-compliance, prompt submission makes business sense! Most importantly, the energy saving opportunities shown when undertaking ESOS Phase 3 should enable you to reduce costs, energy consumption and emissions and help in our journey towards Net Zero.
Carbonbit has worked on all Phases of ESOS with some of the UK’s largest and most complex organisations so please reach out if you have any questions.#Carbonbit #ESOS #netzero